Sunday, December 25, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree...

Nothing says Christmas like…novelty Christmas tree shaped ice cream. These minty trees are a throwback to long ago (I’m not sure how long ago because I can’t find the history of these fun little snacks). Over the years I have seen a variety of these ice cream treats, everything from vanilla/strawberry  Santas, vanilla/strawberry/chocolate snowmen, gingerbread men sandwiches, vanilla bear cookie sandwiches, and of course the minty Christmas trees. They are made by different brands and I find them in different stores each year. In the past 5 years or so the novelty ice creams  seem to be harder and harder to find. Last year I stocked up on them but they do not do well in the freeze for long periods of time. This year I was only able to find the Christmas trees. I’m satisfied. I have had my novelty Christmas ice cream fix.

This year’s Christmas trees are brought to us by Dean’s. They come in a box of 6 delightful green trees. They are mint with little red and green sugar sprinkles. Each tree is individually packed in a plain white wrapper. This is the first year that I noticed that the box is marked “lowfat” and weighed in at 80 calories per tree. They didn’t taste any different to me so I doubt the changed the recipe, more like an added gimmick for sales. The purpose for buying these is simply for the fun of it. They have a good mint flavor but are in no way creamy or high quality. The texture is that of frozen frothy and crystalized milk. The sprinkles seem to be melted and smeared all over the packaging. They are difficult to get out of the package fully intact and come only in slice form without a stick. The trees are a bit messy to eat and if you are not careful the dye from the sprinkles ends up everywhere. Despite their short falls I come back to them every year, call it a tradition of sorts. So for now I will finish off my box of 6 (maybe another box if they mark them 50% off after Christmas) and wait for next year to see which flavors are released. For some reason like a child I get giddy just thinking of it.

Merry Christmas all!

3 comments:

  1. Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower :-)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very good idea after the Christmas dinner! But in this cold weather I prefer to eat something warm dessert :-)

    ReplyDelete